Ingredients: masala fish curry
For Marinating the Fish:
- 500g fish fillets (such as tilapia, cod, or any firm white fish)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
For the Curry:
- 2 tablespoons oil (preferably mustard oil or any cooking oil)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnishing
- Marinating the Fish:
- Wash the fish fillets and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt to form a paste.
- Rub this paste over the fish fillets, covering them evenly. Let them marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
- Cooking the Curry:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for another minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomato puree and cook until the oil starts to separate from the mixture. This will take around 5-7 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook the masala for a few minutes, stirring regularly.
- Adding the Fish:
- Gently place the marinated fish fillets into the pan, ensuring they are immersed in the masala.
- Be careful not to stir too vigorously, as the fish can break easily.
- Cover the pan and let the fish cook in the masala for about 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat. Check occasionally and gently flip the fish pieces if needed.
- Finishing Touches:
- Once the fish is cooked and the masala has thickened, sprinkle garam masala over the curry. Gently stir to incorporate.
- If the curry seems too thick, you can add a bit of water to achieve your desired consistency.
- Let the curry simmer for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Garnish the masala fish curry with chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, naan, or roti.
Enjoy your homemade masala fish curry! Feel free to customize the spices and ingredients to match your taste preferences.