In onam 2023, Onam will start on Atham on Sunday, August 20th, and continue till Thiruvonam on Tuesday, August 29. The Thiruvonam is taken into consideration the most vital day of the pageant as it is believed that on this day the legendary King Mahabali the son of Veerochana and grandson of Prahlad, returns to Kerala from the underworld to go to his people.
Onam is a traditional and widely celebrated festival in the southern Indian state of Kerala. It is a harvest festival that commemorates the legendary King Mahabali, who is believed to have ruled over Kerala in ancient times. The festival holds both mythological and cultural significance and is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor by the people of Kerala.
The history and legend associated with Onam are rooted in Hindu mythology, specifically in the Hindu epic, the Mahabharata, and the Bhagavata Purana. The most popular version of the Onam legend goes as follows:
Legend of King Mahabali:
King Mahabali, also known as Maveli, was a just and benevolent ruler who gained immense popularity for his virtuous rule. His reign was marked by prosperity and equality among his subjects. The gods, particularly Lord Indra, grew jealous of Mahabali’s growing power and popularity and feared that he might become too powerful.
To curb his influence, Lord Vishnu took the form of a dwarf Brahmin named Vamana and approached Mahabali. Vamana asked for a piece of land that he could cover in three steps. Mahabali, known for his generosity, agreed to the request. At this point, Vamana transformed into a gigantic form and covered the entire Earth in one step and the heavens in the second step. With no space left for the third step, Mahabali offered his own head to be stepped upon.
Impressed by Mahabali’s selflessness and devotion, Lord Vishnu granted him a boon. Mahabali requested the boon to visit his kingdom and people once a year. This annual homecoming of King Mahabali is believed to be celebrated as the Onam festival.
Onam is a ten-day festival celebrated during the Malayalam month of Chingam (August-September). The festival involves various cultural events, traditional rituals, and grand feasts. The most distinctive feature of Onam is the creation of intricate floral rangoli designs called “Pookalam” in front of homes, which grow in complexity over the ten days.
Onam also features boat races known as “Vallam Kali,” traditional dance forms like Kathakali and Thiruvathira Kali, music performances, and various sports activities. The traditional Onam meal, known as the “Onasadya,” is a grand vegetarian feast served on a banana leaf and consists of various dishes.
The festival culminates on the tenth day, known as “Thiruvonam,” with elaborate celebrations including prayers, feasting, cultural performances, and people dressed in traditional attire. It’s a time of joy and togetherness, where families and communities come together to celebrate the spirit of unity and prosperity.
Overall, Onam is a festival that reflects the cultural heritage, mythological beliefs, and the spirit of unity among the people of Kerala. It continues to be celebrated with immense enthusiasm and reverence, showcasing the rich traditions of the region.
Onam 2023 Best 20 Wishes –
- May the spirit of Onam fill your heart with joy, happiness, and prosperity. Happy Onam!
- Wishing you a bountiful harvest of happiness and success this Onam. Have a wonderful celebration!
- May the colors and fragrance of the Pookalam brighten your life. Happy Onam!
- May the spirit of King Mahabali bless you with abundance and good fortune. Happy Onam!
- On this Onam, may you be blessed with health, wealth, and happiness. Have a joyous celebration!
- May the lights of Onam fill your life with brightness and positivity. Happy Onam to you and your family!
- As the Pookalam blooms with beautiful flowers, may your life be adorned with love and happiness. Happy Onam!
- May the traditional Onasadya bring togetherness and warmth to your family. Wishing you a delightful Onam!
- May the melodies of Onam fill your heart with harmony and peace. Happy Onam!
- May your life be as colorful and vibrant as the celebrations of Onam. Have a blessed festival!
- On this auspicious occasion of Onam, may all your wishes come true. Happy Onam!
- May the Onam festival mark the beginning of a new era of success and happiness in your life. Happy Onam!
- As you celebrate the spirit of unity and togetherness, may your bonds with loved ones strengthen. Happy Onam!
- May the sweet memories of Onam stay with you throughout the year. Wishing you a memorable festival!
- May the Onam feast fill your plate and heart with love, joy, and deliciousness. Happy Onam!
- Sending you warm wishes for a prosperous and joyful Onam celebration. Enjoy the festivities!
- May the blessings of King Mahabali bring prosperity and abundance to your life. Happy Onam!
- As the snake boat races glide on the waters, may your journey in life be smooth and successful. Happy Onam!
- May the fragrance of flowers and the joy of festivities surround you this Onam. Have a fantastic celebration!
- May the spirit of Onam bring you closer to your roots and remind you of the importance of tradition. Happy Onam!
Feel free to personalize these wishes or combine them to create your own unique messages for your loved ones during the Onam festival.
whilst is Onam? | Onam 2023 date in India
Onam is a ten-day-long harvest pageant celebrated with extremely good devotion and pleasure across Kerala. In 2023 Onam festivities will start at Atham on Tuesday, August 20, and Sunday, to Onam additionally known as Thiruvonam so as to fall on Tuesday, August twenty ninth.
but, the competition will still keep with post celebrations which includes – Avittom (third onam), Chathayam, Boat race, and lots of more that we’ve got referred to with details inside the article. maintain scrolling to recognize extra.